It has been some crazy 48 hours. On Sunday, I was positively losing my mind. Pondering around restlessly, trying not to think. I blogged, I walked around the house, round and round, read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, trying to take a nap in the afternoon but failing to do so, my mind was too loud, refusing to allow me to sleep and forget everything for a bit, and in the evening, I slipped into this zombie in which I hardly spoke to anyone. But I was LOUD, on Twitter. Losing my mind with paranoia.
Because you see, it was the finals on Sunday. More like yesterday morning here in Malaysia, but still official date reads 1st of July. Spain, the team I practically lived for, the past three weeks, is in the finals. But predictions and signs showed that they were AGAINST the odds to win a third major consecutive title. I became very pessimistic, eaten up by my own paranoia, watching the continuous sports news on tv and how a majority of supporters were rooting for the Italians, convinced that they could pull off an upset. I was sure at that time I couldn't stand to watch Spain lose. That game I missed at the World Cup, Spain lost to Switzerland, but apart from that, I have yet to watch Spain losing. I was holding on to that, and also the fact that Fernando Torres have never lost a final in his life. Phew.
SO. 2am my alarm rang. Yeah, I had to sleep, as I wake up at 7am every morning and hell no is my mom allowing me to sleep in. Euro finals or not Euro finals. I was fidgety, very. The closing ceremony in Kiev was incredible! I loved it. It was a very creative concept and a simple ceremony but a heart-warming one. And then.. KICK-OFF. When Jason Dasey was reading out the starting XI for Spain, I was crestfallen, admittedly. I honestly thought Spain was going to go with a striker this time, considering the last time we played 4-6-0 with the Italians, it ended with a draw. NO BUENO. But the moment the match started, I looked at it and wonder, what have I been worrying about all day? MY GOD. THE SPANISH TEAM WERE THAT AMAZING. They were far from the side which brought Portugal all the way to the penalties, far better! All disappointment about not starting with a classic striker drove out of my mind, because the Spanish, stepped it up BIG TIME. They looked like the same side who won the World Cup, possibly even better, because there's no striker. And yet, one, two goals into the net! David Silva's amazing header and Jordi Alba! MY GOD JORDI ALBA. The man is pure class. The movement was magic and Spain completely terrorised the Italians. Italians, who? Antonio Cassano was a shadow of the man whom struck fear the Italian's opponents on the road to the finale. But WHAT HAPPENED? Andrea Pirlo just couldn't match his brilliance against the likes of Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta. THANK GOD XAVI CAME BACK TO FORM. Watching the match, I realise I could afford a smile. Why was I worrying again? Second half, when it was time for substitutions. I was all tied up. Praying Vicente Del Bosque might just hear my plea. You know I wanted to see on the field so bad. He deserves a chance. To just be a part of the team who's going to carry the Cup. Not just a benchwarmer. Off goes David Silva and in comes Pedro Rodriguez. I breathe, thank God it wasn't Cesc Fabregas off. There's only one man who should replace Fabregas... And Fabregas name was called. WHO, WHO? No amount of jubilation can describe what I feel when I saw who was coming on. The stadium rang with his name, "FERNANDO TORRES!". God, dramatic, no? Hahah. And that same moment, my mother, the Italian fan chose to wake up to see the score. I didn't want to look all smug or so happy or whatsoever, the games not over for another 15 minute! But I couldn't help smiling. Hello, Fernando Torres is out there! Mom saw the score, got a mini-heart attack, and says she's going back to sleep. Epic reaction is epic. HAHAH. The game proceeded and I realise I was just too desperate to see Fernando Torres scoring. Aaaah, the possiblities.
I got my wish. He scored. THE MAN SCORED. A crisp finish from a Xavi Hernandez pass and he has written his name alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, Mario Balotelli, Mario Gomez, Alan Dzagoev, and Mario Mandzukic.(What's with the name Mario?) I was victory-dancing, naturally. It's the icing to the cake! Fernando Torres scoring! But little did I know at that time that Fernando Torres would deliberately set up another goal for Spain as Juan Mata, who came a little over a minute to score, thus winning the Golden Boot. I repeat, Spain won the Euro 2012 Cup, AND FERNANDO TORRES WON THE GOLDEN BOOT. Who knew?
Spain rewrote history, by winning the Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, and Euro 2012 and I couldn't have been more proud. VIVA LA ESPANA! Only team in history to do so. The Spanish put on a show in the finals, a show which most of us enjoyed thoroughly. It was jubilation for us Spanish fans, entertainment for real football fans, but agony for Italian fans. Sorry. And who said the tiki taka was all boring and whatsoever?Words were shoved down throats that night, right from the first beauty of a goal from David Silva. That means, you too, Arsene Wenger. Such brilliance, such captivating brilliance. I don't think I've enjoyed a final as much as this! Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique, SERGIO RAMOS!, Alvaro Albeloa, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, David Silva and this man who deserves everything; IKER CASILLAS. Wonderful goalkeeping, and the clean sheets! HE IS GODLIKE. And Fernando Torres is the only player to score in TWO Euro Cup finals. Well, now you know who Fernando Torres is. Grrrr.
His luck stood though. "Fernando Torres has not lost a final in his life."
I must have been the happiest person on Earth, or not. My emotions were shared across the globe with millions of other people, and that, was something special. Days like are always special. I had only wished upon the stars for a Spanish victory albeit however bad were the signs all the way to the final. I got it better. Fernando Torres, who I have always had faith in since the very first time, no matter how good or bad his form is, bagged the Golden Boot and.. I was all emotional, I'll admit. His days were a reflection of mine last 16 months, so that touched something deep. Not that I would expect you to understand. I'm just made of a substance of pure... madness. Like my love for Fernando Jose Torres Sanz.
Just those glorious moments. Some things in life, gets the over-the-top reaction of enthusiasm. But I'm not worried. Just the opposite. The world's full of these moments, I'm just I glad I get to see them. Special times. And I just wish so bad that maybe one day, my time would come. Don't we all? We all wait for that something big to come. With that small voice asking, "Would it?"



No comments:
Post a Comment